Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Solomon's Song - Bryce Courtenay


What is there not to love about Courtenay's "Potato factory" series! I was curious where it would head, and it went straight to hell, a hell endured by thousands in the form of Gallipoli. I must admit that I have never put myself in the position of the men that went so amiably to war, but now I have a hunger for more information and a GREAT respect for those that lost their lives and those that had to carry on without their mates. I feel a deep loss for the families that would have got their men back, but possibly only the shell of the man and how this set of events has affected our nation as a whole.
I have been moved to tears, lost friends and whooped with joy while reading this tale of two families and received a history lesson like no other, what more can I say - 5 PLUS Stars.
(I have read this series using audio books read by Humphrey Bower, which I believe has brought the tale even more to life!)

2 comments:

I am not a Librarian said...

Hey there you there ... you're baaaack :o) Some interesting reviews there, and that Bryce Courtenay one sounds really powerful.
Grab yourself a Shelfari shelf and give 'em a home LOL!

Michelle McLean said...

One of my favourite books of all time is "All quiet on the Western Front", so you have got me interested. Will have to wait until my pile of reading goes down however. :)